Monday 21 July 2014

THE GREATEST PHOTO BIKER IN NIGERIA MICHAEL IMOMOH INTERVIEW



 
Your name and little about yourself?
My name is Michael Imomoh, Aka the greatest photo biker. I majored in computer science in Olabisi Onabanjo University, Ogun State, am from Edo State, I was bone in lagos am from family of Four and the only male child.




How do you venture into photography?
I think to me, photography has being part of me while growing up I always find myself buoying a Cathem after some timer my camera will be secede by my Aunt and these goes on for a long time, eventually I got into the university and I was always at the mission ground here they take pictures. Their was this photographer then I partner with but I was later advised to take the pictures my self the business idea with the gay just crumbled. After my university, I said to myself, Michael, what do you want to do, Do I want to be a photography then, I looked at photographer as school dropouts, and haven to finish at the university as a computer scientist.

I wasn’t really convinced to be an photographer thus I did some jobs and got some money. I got myself a camera I got to read and understand that photographer are well paid around the world and from their on I started my journey into photography. I meet people like judge Oshodi who thought me some tricks in photography.

If people ask me what I do, I always tell them am a graphics editor and a photographer. But today I tell them am a photographer, because am proud of what I do, happy to record history of events to me it’s being a life time journey.

Later the years Aunt brought out all the cameras she had ceased from me and I said Ho! But I could understand her angle, she wanted me to read, be educated and be somebody in life. Read more after the cut.....


What are the challenges in photography?
Well I never know that photography is going to be a very expensive profession, because the cost of cameras, it never accord to me that lence could cost xx amount of money. I had to pay a lot of money to go on the professional training abroad, so at some point in time it was money, money and it became really hard for me to comprehend with that I have a studio today with about seven profession cameras I have different Lences for different occasions, equipments and some power bike as well and all these came from investment in one camera and knowledge. Because without knowledge I would have been stick to only one camera but for the fact that I was able to educate myself, I was very adventurous. I try to be like a man called Joe Mark Nelly able who said my specially is not being able to specialize.

Other challenges are that there is no Cynagy In the industry every one try to do their thing their way. But am an advocate for anything that supports the growth of photography.

The business aspect of photography?
I started doing business with Nigeria buries with ultimate search and it was a very wonderful experience. The first edition I did was under insight communication, Gulder Ultimate search was a very big deal in Nigeria. Going to the jungle, not making use of the flash and taking good pictures I did it successful and I was happy. I got offer from Ninneken brands, Amstel Multa, Airtel Samsung and some brands I can’t remember now.

The business side of photography is really growing, since I started photography in 2007 a lot of things have changed my value and time has grow in terms of monetary level. For every person that wants to be a photographer you can start with passion. It will make molley for you.

Comparing photography in Nigeria with the outside world.?
People abroad are not jack of all trade while in Nigeria a photographer dose everything.

We need to structure ourselves very well. Look at America for example they have the WPPA they have so. Many associations if you want to be a wedding photographer you join the association. Not in Nigeria were everything goes, we need to work together in Nigeria.


Your biggest contract?
Well the first job I collected dollars was with MTV base, when I got that money I was like whoa! Me am being paid in dollars I was so proud if myself. But if I compare that to what I am getting today I will say that one was small. Am just an open main person who believe bigger jobs are coming.

I think the most paid job have ever had till date is with Heineken drink, they brought the European Champions League Cup to Nigeria which I shot apart from Gulder Ultimate Search, Fayrous which are their official photographer and mentor for their life style competition. Its about building your integrity with your clients by that you get more job and they know your what.

You and Your power bike?
I love power bike as much has I love photography. I gave myself the name the photo biker I started biking maybe a year after I started professional photography and its now part of me. People even ask me about my bike before they ask of my health. I ride around Nigeria I have a camera on my element I ride as far as Uyo, Calabar, Enugu and so on.

I think I am one of the first people to have camera fixed on their element. For street photographer biking became necessary for me, I needed to shot pictures without causing traffic on the road. Being on the bike just feel like playing computer games.

My uncle ones told me that the greatest bikers are alive, and I want to be the greatest photo biker alive.


No comments:

Post a Comment